2009年1月17日土曜日

Letter from Sami to Davide

Dr. Guzetti Davide

Dear Sir,

Greetings! Thank you very much for the book Nonlinear Systems by Drazin that you have given to me. It is really hard to find books on higher mathematics in the Philippines—one has to literally scour all branches of the biggest bookstores in Manila and pray that one’s luck would to be too difficult to get a nice reference. I shall take care of it and put it to good use.I am technically a half-Filipino. My mother is Filipino and my father is Arab. Though, I really do not want to go to the Middle East because I do not like hot places. (I really wish that somebody would invent a portable air conditioning unit. It is steaming hot in the Philippines!) Even if my father is a Muslim, I am Roman Catholic since birth.I am now a fourth year undergraduate mathematics student at the University of the Philippines; however, I have just transferred from another course. I was a chemical engineering student. I really like chemistry, although I find the lack of mathematical rigor in the texts, like in physical chemistry; that we have rather disturbing. That is why Iwould like to study mathematics first, and then take a second degree in applied chemistry. But, of course, I really like mathematics. Recently, I am very enthusiastic with my introductory analysis (Math 123.1). I even sleep with the book beside me! I feel that it is one of life’s greatest privileges to see the world with mathematics as one’s eye.Some of my relatives actually say that my interests are rather wildly peculiar, having a liking to math. More so, I like listening music that makes them feel creepy. Well, I understand them. I really like classical music: Toccata con Fuga by Bach; The six Paganini Etudes (I love the third), and, of course, the Totentanz by Liszt; Tzigane by Ravel, Scherzo op.31 in B flat major and Fantasie-Impromptu in C-sharp minor by Chopin; to mention a few. One of my dreams is to be able to play the third Paganini etude by Liszt before I turn 40! I really suggest that you listen to a few of them, if you have not yet done so. However, it is not a good idea to listen to the Toccata con Fuga at night when other people are able to hear it. I do so, and the other people at home can no longer sleep well!Again, thank you very much. It is heart-warming to know that there are people who selflessly offer a part of themselves to complete strangers in need. I really pray that there be more selfless people like you and Sir Takenouchi in the Philippines too, especially in our government! ☺ May GOD bless all of us.

Sincerely yours,
Sami R. Al-Mualem
BS Mathematics
University of the Philippines,
Diliman
28 August 2008

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿